Monday 27 January 2014

Cinematographer

We are filming the majority of our film on two days, that means we need to get all roles completed for then. As we are a duo company, we need to get other people in to do jobs we are not competent in. I have therefore 'hired' my friend and A level Photography and Media student, Matthew Evans. I have worked with him in the past and I know he is more than competent and because we are good friends, he isn't afraid to tell me what to do. This makes him ideal for the role.

Today was the day I briefed him with exactly what I wanted from him. We went through the storyboard and I told him what I wanted things to look like and explored how he was going to carry out his role. He now knows exactly what we want from him and I am absolutely sure that he will add a level of quality to the footage we wouldn't usually get.

This is accepted practice in industry as camera operators may not have as trained an eye for detail that a cinematographer would have and the cinematographer may not have the technical skills to operate the camera.

EDIT 31st January: I am extremely happy with the decision to use Matthew as the Cinematographer, the shots look fantastic and he carried out the perfect job.

1 comment:

  1. more detail - prove how you directed him - is there a job / shot list, an email ar fb conversation you could upload - you need to explain HOW you made sure he did your instructions/creative vision

    ReplyDelete