Monday 16 December 2013

Studio Name and Animation

From the beginning of the storyboarding process, we have established that our company name is SMAX studios. We tried to play around with logos but we didn't really want to stray from the initial design shown to the right. This is because it looks classic and is a quintessential logo design. We couldn't come up with any other drafts that we were any happier with. We knew we wanted to adapt it but we couldn't think of a way to improve upon it. Max came up with the idea of someone shooting something to complete the x and we were given time to think about it. I created this picture to show him what it would look like:

This is when we started playing around with the idea of a live action sequence. We started to think about starting the film with a clip as most studios do. This is when I said it would be much simpler to create using animation rather than live action as we would not need to use green screen and we could always go back and edit minor details whereas live action would require filming again. We then drew up this storyboard:


This adds a bit of fluidity to the beginning of the film as well as establishes the genre. The easiest way to carry this out would be to animate it. I know someone that could produce a high quality flash animation for us or I could attempt it myself. This depends on the time I have and commitments to other sections of the production of the film. I still feel that if I tell the Animator exactly what I want and give him a detailed description of the look of the models as well as the storyboard, it will still be considered our idea and work.

UPDATE: I have chosen to get my good friend Ben Lynch to animate the opening, I briefed him in the video here: 
https://vimeo.com/82369598

This is the first draft he sent me a day after I briefed him: 

I sent him feedback and he quickly returned with this: 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByI99hlaIcanQ1pHdnYwX2JjdWs/edit?usp=sharing

An addition that he came up with and informed me about was the light movement and it add a slight feel of realism as the light would definitely move if shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment